Apply to Foster and/or Adopt
BEFORE YOU APPLY
There are many things we take into consideration before approval for foster or adoption but listed here are some of the primary things we look for in a potential home situation. Please read over them carefully.
If you do not meet any one of these criteria it may very well cause your application to be rejected
and it is likely we will not respond to your application.
If your application does meet all our basic criteria we will contact you to schedule a home visit.
1. You must be 21yrs or older.
2. You must live in Las Vegas or one of the nearby surrounding communities.
3. Your home must fit the type of bird you're interested in. We will not place a large or loud bird in an apartment or condominium (like a Macaw, Cockatoo or Amazon).
4. You must be applying for yourself, we will not foster or adopt to anyone other than the applicant, never give a pet as a gift!
5. You must have a stable home situation. Please don't apply if you recently moved or plan on moving soon or unemployed.
6. You must have a source of income to ensure you are able to care for a parrot financially. Veterinary care, food and toys are all expensive and vital to taking care of your parrot. You will need to have funds available to you should an emergency medical situation warrant a trip to the vet!
7. You can NOT smoke inside your house. If you smoke, but only outside, our determination will be made on a case by case basis. There can be NO SMOKING of any substances around a parrot, there will be NO exceptions.
8. Make sure you have no strong odors in your home from candles, scented products like oils and plug-ins, cleaning products or animal urine.
9. You agree you will NOT use any non-stick cookware or appliances which can kill a bird.
10. There can be no other potentially dangerous animals in the home that could pose a threat to a bird, like a prey driven dog, cat or unsecured reptiles.
11. If approved you must agree in a signed contract you will NEVER use the bird for breeding purposes whether intentionally or accidently. If you breed the bird your adoption agreement is null and void and you must relinquish the bird and their offspring back to SWEAR.
12. You must have a car that is a reliable source of transportation. We will be unable to place a bird where there is no way to get them to medical attention should an emergency arise. Reliable transportation for regular grooming may also be necessary.
13. You must be open and willing to learn and change what you may know about parrot care and welfare. Current research and knowledge is improving the lives of captive parrots and a willingness to learn is an important step in ensuring a healthy, long and happy life for a companion parrot.
THE NEXT STEP...about Your Home Visit
The home visit our opportunity to meet you in person and make a final determination as to your eligibility to foster or adopt from SWEAR. The Home visit can take anywhere from 15 minutes an hour. We do not come and inspect your home with white gloves! We simply meet with you in person, meet your family, see where a bird would be living in your home. We make sure your home is safe and appropriate for a bird. We do not need to see your entire home, only that part of your home where you will be keeping the bird.